Heinz History Center
Heinz History Center
Heinz History Center
Heinz History Center
Henz History Center
Heinz History Center


Heinz History Center
Heinz History Center
Heinz History Center

Help support our region’s legacy by making a contribution to the History Center.
Heinz History Center
Home > Blog
Heinz History Center
Blog

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Lincoln bLog: My Surprise Appearance

By: Abraham Lincoln, guest blog writer, Senator John Heinz History Center

Four score and seven years ago…

Okay, not really, but my new exhibit at the History Center has made quite an impact since opening just a couple of weeks ago.

People are rushing to see Lincoln: The Constitution and the Civil War and Lincoln Slept Here, just like the 15,000 people who mobbed downtown Pittsburgh to hear me speak on Feb. 14, 1861.



(1861? Yes, you read that correctly. I’m starting to get up there, but you know what they say, “You’re only as old as you feel!”)

I made a surprise visit during a preview reception for the exhibition and read excerpts from that speech, delivered from my balcony at the Monongahela House hotel en route to my inauguration.

After captivating the audience with my speech, History Center Chairman of the Board Steve Tritch signaled for the firing of a Civil War-era cannon and with that, my exhibit was officially open.

You can watch video highlights from the preview reception below:

Make sure to come back and visit my bLog soon. Videos, blogs, online slideshows, wow. Now if I can only figure out this cell phone thing…

Abe

No comments:

Post a Comment



History Center Hours:
The History Center exhibits and Museum Shop are open daily from
9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Heinz History Center
Heinz History Center
2010 Senator John Heinz History Center
1212 Smallman Street | Pittsburgh, PA 15222
412-454-6000 | Contact Us | Directions | Site Map
In association with the Smithsonian Institution Heinz History Center
Site engineered by Spaceboy Interactive